God damn. A lot happened this year. I saw some killer movies, made some new friends and listened to some amazing music. I mean, we got some really rad music this year and not all of it was metal. I heard some great tunes from all across the spectrum and this year, unlike in the past, I put everything together. One solid list that I spent a lot of time on. Later today I will make another post, which will be my final post on this website. I am going to bow out and enjoy the new year with my family. But that’s a different post all together. This post is about my favorite albums of 2015, so let’s get to it.
First off, my honorable mentions. These albums got a good amount of listens this year, but were just edged out. More than anything, I just want more people listening to these young artists. All of them are fantastic and wonderful in their own, unique ways.
Tove Lo – Queen Of The Clouds
Halsey – Badlands
Yung Skrrt – Half Words
And now, onto the main list. As usual, there are 30 albums here, but 30-16 are in no particular order. And… Begin.
Birds In Row – Personal War
This Gift A Curse – Swinelord
Leviathan – Scar Sighted
A$AP Rocky – AT.LONG.LAST.A$AP
Vattnet Viskar – Settler
The Weeknd – Beauty Behind The Madness
Ambassador Gun – Tomb Of Broken Sleep
Loma Prieta – Self Portait
Cattle Decapitation – The Anthropocene Extinction
Muscle Beach – Muscle Beach
Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp A Butterfly
Vastum – Hole Below
Thorr-Axe – Gates Of Winter
Melanie Martinez – Cry Baby
Deafheaven – New Burmuda
15. Drake – If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late : Mad beats and ill rhymes. Get down.
14. So Hideous – Laurestine : Postblackmetal done spot-the-fuck-on.
13. Baroness – Purple : I couldn’t have asked for more from the stoners.
12. Haste The Day – Coward : Everything from the past, merged with the present.
11. Lord Dying – Poisoned Altar : Thundering doom from the depths.
10. Revenge – Attack.Blood.Revenge : Expertly crafted black metal filth.
9. Carved Up – Matador : Insanely well-made post-metal madness.
8. Envy – Atheist’s Cornea : Woah. Dark, vicious and atmospheric.
7. White Widows Pact – True Will : A future classic from a new fav.
6. Blacklisters – Adult : Crazy, wacky noise rock from the UK.
4. The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die – Harmlessness
One of my favorite bands in the whole, wide world blowing me away again with their post-rocking post-ness.
2. Chelsea Wolfe – Abyss
This album was a total surprise to me, as I was never super-big on Chelsea‘s music in the past, but Lane and Josh continually praises her musical talent, so I settled and fell in love with Abyss. It’s a dark, deep and complicated album that is fantastic through and through.
1. Kowloon Walled City – Grievances
When it came to albums this year, I had a stand out in Kowloon Walled City‘s Grievances. This band has always been great, but this year they crossed over into amazing. This album destroyed me emotionally and sonically. They have effected me so much, I forgot that sonically isn’t a word. I bow down to Kowloon Walled City. Good luck following Grievances.